Military Wives Choir: Song Words From Their Letters to Husbands in Afghanistan

This video is worth watching.

Please read this first as it makes the music more enjoyable. Gareth Malone, a Choir Master for the London Symphony Orchestra, gathered a group of military wives whose husbands are in Afghanistan and turned them into a choir. They wrote a song based on excerpts from letters written by the couples whilst apart and this is the beautiful result. The single is out in the UK. Thousands have been pre-ordered and all the money raised is going to military charities. Enjoy!

No matter what issues surround war, compassion stirs for the wives, families and the men and women who are in harm’s way.

Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are always welcome. I don’t blog on a regular schedule, but if you subscribe, you’ll receive an email notice of my posts.

Hope your Monday is the beginning of a great week.

1. rate my school
    Aug 03, 2013 @ 05:01:56

Aw, this was a really good post. Taking the time and actual effort to make a top notch article… but what can I say… I
    procrastinate a whole lot and don’t seem to get nearly anything done.

Aug 03, 2013 @ 13:09:29

Procrastination? What is that? (grin) Did you notice the last time I posted?

I decided not to post unless it would actually mean something to folks who took time from their busy schedules to visit my site. Matching available time and an idea are often in juxtaposition. Have a great weekend. I will visit your blog to learn more about you! Cheers!

2. Marcy Kennedy
    Mar 01, 2012 @ 19:58:03

This is lovely. My husband did a combat deployment to Iraq, and one of our friends is overseas right now. I’m going to send this along to his wife.

Mar 01, 2012 @ 21:13:49

So glad you stopped by. And thanks to you and your husband for sacrifices and emotions that I can only imagine. My husband went to Afghanistan as a civilian engineer for 3 months in 2005 and I got a very small taste of the separation and struggles of families.

Sent from my iPad

3. Bridgette Booth (@Bridgette_Booth)
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:40:21

This is just lovely, Marion. I am so glad you posted it. I’ll have to share it with some of my military friends, just in case they aren’t aware of it.

4. jennifer tanner
    Feb 20, 2012 @ 15:11:29

Kismet! I’m packing up care packages bound for Afghanistan today! I hope the choir has provided an outlet for these wonderful women to convey their thoughts and given them a sense of camaraderie.

Thanks for posting.

Feb 20, 2012 @ 20:59:41

Hi, Jennifer! High fives to you for taking action. When I watched the video, I saw that there were more videos on you-tube by the same choir. I am guessing they have found a great resource of strength, assistance, and comfort in each other … as well as find a way to send a message to folks like me … comfortable and enjoying life amidst the freedom that always comes with a great cost. If you happen to check back here, feel free to share a way for us to do what you are doing. In the foggy bottom of my brain, I think I remember you writing about this very thing once before … sending care packages to Afghanistan.

5. Natalie Hartford
    Feb 20, 2012 @ 07:30:52

What a beautiful video, song and story! I love how you wrote:

Sooooo true…

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful video!

Feb 20, 2012 @ 13:24:32

You are most welcome, Natalie. Thanks for stopping by. I find that Canadian hearts sometimes seem more aware of the emotional impact of war. Of course this comment doesn’t include those who are involved directly. As a former Canadian, my own heart swells when my brothers and sisters of Canada lend their support, not only to their own troops, but to ours in the US as well. Hugs to you and Patricia, both Canadians.

Feb 20, 2012 @ 06:12:29

Thank you for this Marion *wiping eyes, blowing nose*. What a beautiful idea. We go about our daily lives mostly taking for granted the safe and democratic world in which we live while many others put their lives in danger to protect it. I’ll do my best to make certain this video is seen in my little world.

Feb 20, 2012 @ 13:19:31

The video was sent to me by a dear nursing school classmate from Calgary. Thanks for stopping by and for sharing it. For every soldier on the front, there are varying sized groups of family & friends longing to have home again, managing as best they can with their emotions and missing them. I can’t imaging what it’s like for the soldiers. I hope somehow our vibes of support reach them all.