Gratitude List

Autumn Trees in the Pacific Northwest

On those days when grumbles surface, catching them before they rule the atmosphere, challenging the negative with the good things often brightens the day, lifting me out of a funk into a different place. While blogging tonight, the list got longer and longer, so I’ve left many big and small things out. Had to quit somewhere!

Below is the gratitude list I could think of tonight …

-Husband, Children, Grandchildren, Brothers and their families
-Friends and Freedom
-Continuing Community Education
-Continuing Writing Education
-Kindness received and given
-Reading and writing
-Music
-Social networking with readers and writers, Connections
-Imagination, Problem Solving
-Walking
-Logical mind, even though one tracked & at times absent

Fresh nutritious salad

-Fine Doctors to keep me ticking … and walking … along with access to great health care
-The Internet, Computers, Printers
-Universities, Colleges, and Libraries
-Telephone calls, and long conversations with loved ones and friends
-Cell phones.  What ever did I do without one?
-Television, especially PBS, and Radio
-Relatively good hearing
-My Prius automobile, and my husband’s Highlander 4WD ( we usually keep cars for 15 years)
-The dogs, King & Buddy (Yellow & Chocolate Labs)
-Gasoline
-Food, fresh, organic when available, Good well water
-Vegetable garden provided by husband in the summer
-The 24 minute drive through beauty to get to the outdoor swimming pool
-Pain medication, Vitamins
-Minimally invasive Surgical techniques to solve many problems
-Memories, Bird songs, Breezes, Boat rides
-The present moments
-Large bodies of water, lakes, oceans, rushing streams
-Photographs that quick start memories

Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau AK

-Mountains, Glaciers, rain forests
-Trees, bushes, berries, flowers, grasses
-Autumn colors, Sunsets, Clouds, Blue sky, Rain, Snow
-Crocuses signaling the arrival of spring, and Pussy Willows
-Change that challenges
-All the senses, taste, smell, touch, see, hear and the 6th sense, intuition
-Compassion given and received
-Love, given and received
-Hope, Faith, Trust, Destiny and believing there is a purpose to all things, as in order in the chaos
-Freedom from practicing religion and respect for those who do

-Struggles.  Ouch.  Hate to mention this one, but all internal change, spurred by struggles, provided learning, an increased capacity to feel, to love, to reach out.  Didn’t learn much while having fun.  The hard times had a purpose.  They did pass.  Often understanding followed. But didn’t understand when in the midst of a struggle so eventually learned to wait it out.

The entire gratitude list is woven into the evolution of my soul.
Would love your comments and additions to the list.  Have a good week all.

1. Linda Knight
    Dec 28, 2012 @ 09:59:43

Marion, this is a fantastic list and I am greatful for so many of the same things, you have always been an inspiration to me and I love you my friend.

Dec 31, 2012 @ 18:55:58

Hi, Linda! I thought I had already replied thanking you for stopping by, and saying such lovely things! But with all of my gizmo’s (I am on my iPad) I don’t know totally what gives on each device … clouds and all that! Grin. But we go way back, and the memories or our walks in Juneau are as fresh today as ever! Happy New Year to you and Denny, and all your loved ones!

Dec 31, 2012 @ 18:56:50

Forgot to say I love you too!!

2. Naomi Bulger
    Feb 19, 2012 @ 16:05:03

I am thankful for gratitude lists, like yours, on the Internet. They remind me to stop, take a breath, look around, and be thankful. Be mindful. I have so much for which to be thankful, and I needed this reminder.

Jan 30, 2012 @ 22:38:42

Marion, you pretty much embrace it all. A fabulous reminder. Hugs to you, sista!

Jan 30, 2012 @ 15:02:33

Such a thoughtful list that shows the reaches into the deepest parts of your soul. You are blessed, my friend.

Jan 30, 2012 @ 10:28:54

I love your list, Marion. We all have so much to be grateful for, thanks for putting it out there.

Jan 30, 2012 @ 20:44:45

Thanks, Tameri. As I wrote the list, I was quite surprised. I hadn’t thought much about particulars, just knew I was generally grateful. The particulars that provide warmth, comfort, food, lodging, transportation aw shucks there I go but we wish them for all.

6. Elena Aitken
    Jan 30, 2012 @ 08:30:16

Great list and a great reminder not to take things for granted. Thank you for sharing.

Jan 30, 2012 @ 20:35:09

Thanks for your comment Elena. I visited your site and noticed much, like twins, and more, that you are grateful for as well. I visited your website, and enjoyed your blog about literacy day with 4th graders, and what you did with them. What a gal!

7. mE
    Jan 30, 2012 @ 05:53:10

In the middle of moving to Lynden…been a year (2011) of stress and anxiety (actually 3 years but who’s counting 🙂 Enjoy your posts immensely…
    Earlene

8. Nancy J Nicholson
    Jan 30, 2012 @ 05:33:47

Marion, this is a fantastic list and the last about struggles is so true. We all grow through adversity, or least that’s what makes us better. Thanks for sharing.