TIME, WHERE ARE YOU?

BODY MAINTENANCE AFTER ??? YEARS OF AGE

Before: Prior to August Surgery

After: Taken in November 2011

Phase one: August 11 2011 gastric sleeve surgery provided a fighting chance to overcome lifelong obesity.  Appearance was not the issue.  Large gals can be beautiful. But as a nurse, I could see signs of health issues arising that might soon become irreversible.  Since the surgery I enjoy an energy surge, healthy lab reports, and a multiple of other benefits of weight loss.  Here are before [Aug] & after [Nov[ head shots. No, you don’t get to see the rest of me until I’m done shrinking.

Phase two:  I need a third hip prosthesis revision.  This is in no way typical, but the complications from the first surgery 11 years ago (infection) required further surgical interventions, but provided ten years of great mobility.  However, for every pound I carried, the load on knee and hip joints tripled.  Do the math.  I wore my poor baby out.  So February 23, if plans progress, the third hip prosthesis and I will shake hands—joined at the hip so to speak.

MY PASSION

I’m a writer.  I want to write.  For readers and friends who read my blog who are not writers or authors, there is a difference between the two terms.  A writer typically is unpublished.  An author has published works waiting for readers to honor his or her craft by purchasing their stories, essays, or poetry.

But body maintenance and bookkeeping for two home businesses, plus domestic responsibilities have ensnared me in a time warp, gobbling up writing time (including this blog. But I love the connections with people, so what’s a gal supposed to do?)  Add the surge of energy directed at recapturing order in my home.  Most important, I love my husband, children, and grandchildren and friends.   Well, I love the dogs, too—I think.  But husband is their master and all I have to do is snuggle & coo at them.

Every problem has a solution.  The idea came quietly as I relaxed in Juneau with grandchildren.  When I got home, I juggled financial priorities, rented a low cost off-season room in a local B & B two days a week, and  left my home environment.  And wrote.

I’ll let you know if the seclusion works.  The wisdom in the writing world recommends writing every day.  I agree.  Hopefully, my two days will be a jump-start to new habit forming disciplines, guilt free.

Bloggers usually have a schedule for posting.  I don’t.  If I find something interesting, beautiful, funny, or informative—whatever it may be—I will post randomly as I’m moved or as time allows.   I would be honored if readers subscribed to my blog so they wouldn’t miss anything (smile and a wink.)  I strive to keep the blogs short, as your time is likely more valuable than mine!

Peace!

1. seo
    Jan 31, 2012 @ 09:38:55

Have you ever thought about writing an ebook or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would enjoy your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.

2. Joan Satterlee
    Jan 28, 2012 @ 20:56:39

Marion, your transformation has been both inspiring and motivating. I sure hope we’ll see you at the February Evergreen meeting. 🙂 I am a tad jealous that you get to leave home and write two days a week…I wish I could do that. Please let us know how the re-organization of your life goes! 🙂

3. jennifer tanner
    Jan 24, 2012 @ 07:03:42

I’m glad your surgery was successful. I think any major surgery is scary and electing to do so was very brave on your part. After undergoing surgery a few years ago, my writing was a big part of the healing process. I’m glad you’ve made yourself a priority, and I hope your writing is going well.

Jan 24, 2012 @ 07:55:33

Good morning, Jennifer! Getting closer with the ‘writing going well.’ Once the next bump in the road (hip surgery) has passed, I look forward to shifting my focus away from preoccupation with health, and center within my writing world. Thanks for the positive thought, that your writing was a big part of the healing process.

Jan 22, 2012 @ 11:15:34

You’ve had an amazing metamorphosis these past 5 months, Marion. And you LOOK WONDERFUL! Kudos to you for making tough decisions and sticking to them. I, too, have been re-evaluating my time and what I AM ABLE to do with it. I nudged family back up to the top of the list (where it should be) and my own health is up there, too. Writing is now in third place and it’s been kind of weird. I actually think I’m finding more time to write. That’s probably because, sadly, I’ve backed off on my internet presence in order to devote time to my other priorities. That’s probably not smart for someone who’s trying to sell books, but it’s necessary. At least for now.

Jan 22, 2012 @ 11:46:56

Good morning, Laurie … well almost afternoon. I enjoy the internet connections & while we know something’s must give, it is hard to let go. My blog followers witness me hit and miss, withdraw, and return. Marketing books is important, but from what I’ve read, it needs to either be done along side, or fall into place after, the writing.

To reply to Natalie Hartford’s comment above, I checked her blog again for the URL to a poignant post & saw her post for today. She describes her ROW 80 goals, and part of that is her approach to her internet presence. I’ll head back there and check it out more thoroughly. I am leaning towards a tracking spread sheet so I can schedule on-line visits. I’ll miss some posts, but will periodically touch base with more posters. Perhaps it will take a day scheduled for reading blogs, etc.

Laurie, the order of your priorities sounds spot on. Once we find workable solutions, we can share it with others.
      To see a list of Laurie’s books, visit her website at http://www.laurieryanauthor.com/books.html
      You can also find a fabulous motivational spread sheet she is willing to share free for tracking your writing at http://www.laurieryanauthor.com/authors.html

5. Natalie Hartford
    Jan 22, 2012 @ 10:03:32

Wonderful to see you around the blog bend Marion. Great idea on making writing time – I love it! Can’t wait to see how it works for you.
    LOVE the before and after pictures – beautiful! Here’s to your continued health!

Jan 21, 2012 @ 19:57:05

Marion, your commitment to your writing and health is inspiring! I am so proud of you and your ability to put the blinders on and forge ahead. I bow to your greatness. BTW. Your profile picture is fabulous! You are a very beautiful woman, inside and out!

Jan 21, 2012 @ 13:19:02

I’ve often fantasized about having a place away from everything where I can just write. I envy you your two days at the B&B! Sounds like you are doing what you need to do to make your life as great as it can be. If that’s only two days a week, there you go. Do what you can and when you can do more, then you will.

Great job on the taking care of your body part of the plan. You look fabulous in both pictures! I’m super excited for you and the success of your surgery. That hip thing doesn’t sound like fun, but you’ll be ready for it. Keep on working it, girl!

Jan 21, 2012 @ 17:53:27

Welcome to you too, Tameri. What a treat to visit with three friends … Naomi, Patricia , and you. I slipped over to your blog so I could put the URL here, and realize what I have been missing by not visiting more often. (Trying to put my time into writing.) So for any readers out there that want some heart, here is Tameri’s blog URL:

Tameri would light up any room she entered with her enthusiasm for life.

Jan 21, 2012 @ 11:06:04

Well done, Marion! Love the before/after photos – although I always thought your blog photo was really attractive! However you must be delighted with the progress of your weight loss and the promise of improved health. Your writing plan sounds like a wise idea … and kind of fun! Write on!

Jan 21, 2012 @ 17:33:22

Greetings, Patricia. Amused as I consider the two photos, between you, me and the other blog readers, I am more accustomed to the old one … the newer after picture looks like a bleach blond looking for mischief. Watch out when that hip starts working!

My husband read your novel, “The Bridge Club” …

I think he is on a quest to learn as much as he can about women, both to deal with me and in preparing for his next lifetime. Your book is on my “to be read” list.

My writing haven is such a gift. When the tourist season begins and hostess gets busy with paying customers I will only use the room when it is available, or perhaps not at all some weeks. But for the present, it works well for both of us.

9. Naomi Bulger
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 00:58:04

Thank you for this post, Marion. It’s inspiring to watch you take control of your life and health and make it what you want it to be. I wish you all the very best in all these endeavours!

Jan 21, 2012 @ 17:17:46

If anything I say or do inspires anyone, I am grateful, but I certainly don’t feel very inspiring … and I guess that is a good thing! Contact with others is what inspires me and keeps me moving on! A deep seated combination of weakness and strength makes the journey we all take, possible.

Readers, Naomi has a great blog and a book “Airmail” as well. http://www.naomibulger.com/promises.html

10. Naomi Baltuck
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 20:41:45

Hi Marion, sounds like a plan! Two days a week in a B&B is a great idea–you won’t get distracted by the phone or dirty dishes or all those little tasks that nag at you. I wish you the best of luck, and look forward more posts.