Holiday Season Juggling of Priorities

Christmas at our house another year

To family, friends, fellow writers and bloggers, may you reap some of the riches of the heart during this season when we dream. And play. And reminisce.

I’m also mindful of those whose grief is multiplied during this tender time of year when hearts are open and easier to break.  Reach out, and know that it will pass.

And to those who find the emotions of the season a burden, or the inevitable commercial involvement distasteful, hope you can look for the little things that make the struggle worth it.

But to all, at this time of year and always, may something wonderful happen to light warmth within.

Having  juggled priorities, I must remove blogging from a fixed schedule, and post when time and inclination coincide.  I’ll be waving from my daughter’s hearth in Alaska.

Here is a wee poem:

Christmas is the time of year
When hearts make room for love.
It keeps the Holy Dream alive
To visualize a Dove.

A sign of peace to give us hope
To warm the hearts of men,
We wait and wait, yes year to year
For world love’s growth again.

The hope is like a tiny seed
Surrounded deep in error …
But Hope gives service to mankind
To ease him from the terror.

For some, the hopelessness of life,
From the pain of Hell,
The tiny seed of hope does flicker
“Maybe we’ll get well!”

It’s like an intravenous
That keeps us duly fed,
During all the hubbub
As mankind lies in bed …

But once the earth does flood with truth
And error does recede …
Christmas won’t be needed
For man to do a deed

Of brotherhood, of loving
‘Cause it will be a part
Of the new created nature
In mankind’s loving heart.

Love to all.

1. Lesann
    Dec 23, 2011 @ 12:36:51

Happy Holidays Marion!

I hope your northern visit is lovely.

Dec 23, 2011 @ 14:06:21

Thanks, Lesann. I am spiffing up the house, packing, making lists. How many suitcases does one woman need for a vacation to ensure she won’t get up north and think, I wish had brought …?? But I’m pretty sure I won’t’ forget anything. I keep a list of what I put in each spot, like the purse, the carry on, the main bags. Yes, two main bags. But my excuse? One is full of gifts.

I hope you all Celebrate the season with joy, finding the tiny blessings if nostalgia gets in the way!

2. careann
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 14:43:53

I’ve only visited in Alaska and the Yukon, although one of my daughters lived in the Yukon many years ago. The north country is spectacular albeit ‘set apart’. Enjoy your time there, writing because you can’t not write, and blogging whenever you can. I enjoy your posts and hope to see you back here soon. In the meantime, enjoy Christmas. May you be blessed.

Dec 14, 2011 @ 21:30:17

Thanks for your encouragement, and kind words, Careann. I have found that I actually can “not write” when I need a break. But it doesn’t last long, and it feels good when I’m back on track. Wishing the best for you and yours.

Dec 12, 2011 @ 21:11:42

Happy Holidays to you, Marion! Everyday is a choice to be happy. When you are ready, we’ll be here. Hugs to you and yours!

4. Marion Spicher
    Dec 07, 2011 @ 11:34:42

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season!

And though I shall be 900 miles to the north as the crow flies, in this technological age, I’m not any further away than an internet connection, and computer. And I’m not leaving immediately. I just must get on with the manuscript revision. Must, Must, Must!

Hope love, peace and joy permeates your days!

Dec 07, 2011 @ 08:44:04

Ahhh, what a great tree. Have a wonderful holiday, Marion. I love Alaska and would move there if my husband would come along.lol

Dec 07, 2011 @ 11:31:06

Good morning, Laurie, what is left of it! Moving to Alaska is a big undertaking, and the experiences challenging. But so very full of awe and wonder. I hope you get to follow that dream one day. But don’t pick the southeast unless you love the rain!

Dec 07, 2011 @ 06:09:13

What a lovely poem! You have a fabulous time this Christmas in the cold, cold, land of Alaska!

Merry Christmas to you and your family and Happy New Year!

Dec 07, 2011 @ 11:27:59

Glad you enjoyed the poem, Tameri.

As I wrote above, it is not as cold where I am headed. A lot of rain, and if the temperature drops, it falls as snow. When we lived there, our home was a mile from the Mendenhall Glacier. Hope you and the others have the opportunity to visit what they call “the last frontier” at some point.

Dec 06, 2011 @ 19:34:55

Marion, I’m visualizing you off to Alaska on the Polar Express.Thanks for sharing the beautiful sentiments of your “wee poem” and enjoy every moment through the holidays with your family which is exactly where you should be. I join Kate in sending peace and love and the warmest of holiday wishes.

Dec 07, 2011 @ 11:24:48

Thanks for the surge of peace and love, Patricia. I enjoyed your blog about the performers in Toronto so much. I’m heading to Juneau, which is a southern panhandle of the state, landlocked, and the only way in or out is by ferry or air. But the weather is not as cold as the northern section. Alaska is so big it is difficult to imagine. Some used to tease Texans, and say, “We might divide Alaska in half and make Texas the third largest state.

8. Kate MacNicol
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 16:34:54

Thank you for sharing your home and your poetry this holiday season. Have a wonderful time with your daughter. Your wana 711 sisters will keep the homefires (blogfires:) burning until you return. Sending peace and love to you Marion.

Dec 06, 2011 @ 17:20:07

Thanks for the peace and love, Kate, the best gift of all. I see the grandchildren so seldom that we are all excited! I am also grateful for the wana 711 sisters! (For those who may read this and wonder, this sisterhood grew out of an on-line class for social networking presented by Kristen Lamb, taken from her book “We Are Not Alone” [hence wana] and we support, teach, and help one another. )

I’ll be following the blog train from the north … might even see Santa!

9. jennifer tanner
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 16:27:58

Thanks for the reminder that the true spirit of the season doesn’t equate to things material and monetary. Years ago, I worked as a phlebotomist in a hospital. Being the low “man” on the totem pole, I got stuck working on Christmas Eve or Christmas. The holiday has a different meaning for those who are grieving or have lost hope. I witnessed it firsthand in the ER.

It’s important to keep sowing those seeds of hope.

Dec 06, 2011 @ 17:12:31

Thanks, Jennifer. I worked as an RN for many years and witnessed also those for whom the holiday added another layer of pain, but also detected some extra caring coming from the workers, the families and those who came by to comfort the patients. The families of those who work in departments caring for their fellow man must often do without their loved ones at this time, as the need for the police, the fire department, the hospitals, open restaurants, homeless shelters, linemen who restore power, etc. never ends.

Through the years my take on Christmas has evolved from childhood (the almost intolerable jumping up and down anticipation) through the quick passing of the actual day (Is it over already?) to the disillusionment after leaving home when nobody else could do it just right, like my parents did.

Finally, I was able to see more layers to the essence of Christmas and understood that the celebration … or lack of celebration … is as unique as DNA.

It was quite a revelation to learn that religions had incorporated so called pagan holidays into the arrival of winter, driving home that mankind needs to celebrate at times to lift their spirits, so celebrate on, I say! And for many of us, we need to be open to change and acceptance.