Autumn Breezes Bring Change, or When Life Throws a Roadblock, Can We Find a Detour?

The picture has nothing to do with the post but I like it. My granddaughter in o4.

Autumn breezes blow in change.  Swimming for exercise started yesterday.  In an outdoor pool.  Brrrr. But the water is warm and the walk from the change room to the pool is short.

The first attempt after surgery August 11, revealed the top step was too high for my worn out hip implants.

Like many things in our lives, the hurdle could work as an excuse.  Swimming usurps 3 hours of my day driving to the pool followed by the swim, shower, fix hair, and get home.  Life without exercise is not an option, so the brain got busy with a solution.

The home health supply store ordered a metal medical footstool with a grab type handle that would not float. Perfect.

New problem.  How am I going to cart all that stuff into the change room? My right hand needs to operate a cane.  Aha. I went to a department store and bought a rolling duffel bag.

Swimming day arrived. I filled the duffel with swimming things, purse, water bottles, and stowed the footstool upside down on the top, using a bungee cord. Stares and smiles followed the bag lady strolling along the resort sidewalk.  A tall, dark and handsome man with a great aura asked if he could help.  I thanked him and said I had it all figured out.

After the swim, the same kind man, his wife and child shared the hot tub. The conversation thrilled me. A Spaniard now living in the US and working in Canada, he praised the US as the example of freedom for the whole world, and much more that I wont post here. He talked of his belief that wonderful things are in store for mankind.

The conversation was reward enough and lifted me, but I also had my trusty laptop in the rolling duffel bag, and went to the resort’s spa lounge and wrote for an hour.

Now all I need to do is find someone to do my housework and the bookkeeping,  in arrears, so writing can continue.  My brain is working on that.  My husband is willing to help, but I have to (shudder) ask.  But if the motivation is high enough … well, who knows.

Hope you enjoy the changes October brings. Would love to hear your stories  reflecting  your  detours around a problem.

Oct 05, 2011 @ 04:40:39

An outdoor pool? I immediately had goose bumps! Problem-solving is a strength that you role model with modesty and obviously brings you fine results! I loved the visual of you walking to the pool.
    I googled “Akashi” but just got a bunch of Japanese links including a sushi restaurant … I do love sushi! Further exploration required.

Oct 05, 2011 @ 11:56:48

I tried googling Akashi and got the same thing you did, so I added a ‘c’ on the end, and found a myriad of sites pertaining to the Akashic Records. The problem I have with so many ancient mysteries, is that truth should be freely given. Most wisdom teachers charge a hefty price. I may play with the site when I have time. Grin. Time?

2. Marcia
    Oct 04, 2011 @ 21:02:22

Great story, Marion. So glad you figured out a way to accomplish your trip to the spa and inspiring that you wouldn’t let anything stop you. I need more of that determination!

Oct 05, 2011 @ 12:04:39

Thanks, Marcia. My motivation stems from the prospect of a looming complicated hip replacement revision, so the exercise alone is not the motivation, but a healthy body in the best possible pre-operative condition mandates the determination. Believing the benefits of exercise doesn’t come easy to a lot of folks until the evidence hits home.

Oct 04, 2011 @ 12:30:59

What a clever woman you are! Good on you for not letting that step keep you from doing what you need to get done.

Sorry I can’t help you with the housekeeping or bookkeeping issues, but I’m sure you’ll sort those out as well. I hope you’re going to write a blog about the gentleman you met and his positive ideals.

Oct 05, 2011 @ 11:35:17

I am hoping to see him again. He offered to give me his card, but exchanging cards in a hot tub doesn’t work. I am guessing it may be his business to attract “students.” I have no problem with that, but not interested. Only interested in hearing more of where he is coming from. He said to google “Akashi” … but haven’t done it yet. Lots of “prophesies” floating these days, but the positive ones suit me best! So many within and outside the US are uber critical, but throughout our history, a thread seems to weave it’s way through the tapestry toward the ideals upon which we were founded. Thanks for stopping, and I’ll certainly post if I see him again.

4. Hartford
    Oct 04, 2011 @ 09:52:53

Good for you for sticking with it and being determined. It’s an inspiration!

Oct 04, 2011 @ 04:15:55

I’m feeling a little brain dead at the moment after catching a red-eye flight and not getting much sleep. So I’m not sure about getting around detours, but I HAD to comment on your ingenuity. Good for you for not letting a problem derail the swimming. Well done!