Positive Thinking: Is It Powerful?

The Rose? Or the darkness behind it?

One psychologist’s suggestions for improvement or life changes are paraphrased below.  Platitudes about positive thinking alone are not convincing,  but she pointed out how and why it works.

To paraphrase her words:  The subconscious mind does not judge, but only seeks to obey our thoughts and  unconsciously bring about situations and actions to make them come to pass .  We therefore must learn first of all, to recognize a negative thought, stop it cold in it’s tracks, and challenge the downer with a positive believable and convincing alternative.  The subconscious will adopt the newest thought, the positive one, and will set in motion, things to make it come to pass.

Can this affirmation technique help us examine situations and see if a positive light can shine on them?

For example, Mondays are a fabulous opportunity for a fresh start to the work week!  Have a good one, all.

1. Marion Spicher
    Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:00:34

The Rule of Three Writer’s Blogfest http://amloki.blogspot.com/p/sign-up-for-rule-of-three-blogfest.html promises a great “follow.” I’ll be watching, wishing I could participate this time around. Thanks for stopping by.

2. Trackback: Your Health! « Kate Wood's Blog
  3. Damyanti
    Sep 20, 2011 @ 21:31:19

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for your kind comments on the the Rule of Three Writers’ Blogfest!

Positive thinking is what keeps me going from day to day…I keep telling myself I can do it!

4. Marcia Richards
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 20:02:03

Thought provoking, Marion! Change your mind; change your world. Turn negatives into positives…you just have to want to. Thanks for a great start to the week!

Sep 20, 2011 @ 20:13:45

For some, getting to the “want to” is the hardest part. Many are able to do it, but some cannot until some internal and external changes are in sync. It happened for me during a bizarre spiritual journey.

Sep 19, 2011 @ 19:56:09

Love it! I’m a firm believer in positive thoughts/positive action.

As for Mondays? I call them Magical Mondays on my blog because I’ve always felt that Monday gives us a chance to make whatever we want of the week. Why wait for Friday to get the party started? Monday is fresh and new – anything can happen!

6. katewoodauthor
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 16:46:00

Positive thinking is a powerful tool. Thanks for this reminder, Marion!

Sep 19, 2011 @ 09:22:49

You might have a little trouble getting folks to embrace that new beginning on Mondays thing. I remember when I worked a 9-5. It was tough to get up that morning. lol
    The sentiment is great and I think it’s spot-on. We can change our world just by changing our attitude.

Sep 20, 2011 @ 20:26:34

I remember those days, Laurie. Grin. Putting the last load in the dryer Sunday night at bedtime, then taking a few minutes alone to refresh after everyone else had gone to bed. The next thing I knew the alarm jarred me into the Monday, breakfast, pack lunches for kids, get them off to school, fold the laundry, grab my stuff for the day, and out the door. But I loved my job and looked forward to seeing my co-workers.

I’m still trying to get the hang of the attitude thing. But it does work more often than not! And I marvel.

8. Pamela Beason
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 07:52:42

Wonderful thoughts, Marion. I am going forth into Monday with a positive attitude! Thanks.

Sep 20, 2011 @ 20:22:18

Nice to see you here Pam. You’ve had the grindstone threatening you for quite some time, and you do set a great example for writers regarding your dedication to writing. Hope your Monday was great!