Labor Day Holiday Already? Time Flies.

In the Pacific Northwest we’ve already forgotten the cold wet spring and early summer while we bask in days full of golden sunshine.  Labor Day comes along not too many days after my birthday.  Both days whisper remembered wonderful things to my child’s heart. “Soon you’ll be back in school with your friends.”

I loved starting a new school year.  Different teachers, clean binders, new pencils, crayons, exciting stuff! A fresh start.  That’s the part that stays with me.  The autumn is the time of year for a fresh start.

Prince of Wales Hotel, Waterton Lakes National Park

Every  summer, my folks took us to Waterton National Park, the Canadian Extension of Glacier National Park.  We rented a small cabin for two months. They brought someone to watch over my two brothers and me while my parents golfed.

We swam, rode horseback, met new friends, and ultimately ended up with horses of our own.   We learned that owning a horse and caring for it brought complications.  Finding them on foot in the big pasture land was the first hurdle! The stickers in the grass, and a horse that couldn’t be bribed by a bucket of oats.

The childhood impressions of dates, times and seasons stays with me. The autumn  early morning crisp air with occasional wisps of fog, heralds that sigh of remembrance … good things are coming.

1. Carol J. Garvin
    Sep 11, 2011 @ 19:05:37

I’m late reading your post, Marion but your mention of Waterton Park brought back a memory.

Back in May 1969 when my husband was pastor in Calgary, AB, he was asked to perform a wedding in the historic Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton Park. It had been opened early, especially for the occasion. Until then, I had no idea how beautiful it was there. I also remember it being bitterly cold! We had taken our tent trailer, planning to stay on and have a bit of a holiday, but instead we hurried our chilled family home, vowing it was the last time we’d sleep under canvas! Soon after we moved to Vancouver Island and bought our first travel trailer. We’ve been RVing ever since but have never been back to Waterton Park. I’m thinking maybe it should be a summer destination soon… in our RV. 🙂

Sep 11, 2011 @ 20:51:21

Yes, Carol, Waterton can be windy and cold, tucked in the Rocky Mountains. So glad you have an RV! When you return, you will find Waterton little changed.

Thanks for stopping by! I visited your blog and your post was timely for me!

2. Naomi Bulger
    Sep 05, 2011 @ 17:40:50

Good things are coming! I love that sense of anticipation, and the nostalgia of anticipation (is that possible? To be going backward to remember thinking forward?). We live in such opposite worlds that even your seasons and back-to-school times are opposite to mine, yet so many of your lovely memories are all too familiar to me. Thank you for taking me back to childhood holidays by the lake, wading through the paddock in gum boots and short shorts trying to catch an unruly horse, and the fresh joy of a new school year with new stationery in the new backpack.

Sep 05, 2011 @ 23:15:40

Strange, isn’t it, Naomi, that time changes so drastically, and seasons are altered around the globe. Thinking of you and yours having Christmas in the summer, and the water swirling down the drain in the opposite direction! But no matter where we hang our hats, many of us have so much in common! I’m happy that you liked the post.

I checkout out your blog and am now following you. (Sounds ominous doesn’t it?) I would like to hear about Australian Holidays. Please educate us!

Sep 05, 2011 @ 11:11:34

What a gorgeous place to vacation! I always wanted to have a ‘place’ we went to each summer and this would’ve been exactly what I wished for.

I still get excited for school to start. Not for me, but for my kids and I love buying new school supplies. Maybe my excitement rubbed off on them because both kids always love the new school year.

Thanks for the lovely images from the park!

Sep 05, 2011 @ 12:28:43

Howdy, Tameri! This post was a pleasure to write, and the video took me back. Nostalgia is so bitter/sweet! There were videos that covered the park more thoroughly, narrated by parks folks, but I liked the music in this one! Thanks for stopping by on this busy holiday!

Sep 05, 2011 @ 09:44:17

What wonderful memories you have! It sounds like you had a very special childhood and two months every summer in Waterton National Park would be a dream come true for many.

Sep 05, 2011 @ 12:32:48

My childhood was indeed special. Our parents loved each other and us three children. When folks talk of riches, my mind always turns, not to material wealth, but to the countless blessings of my childhood, being raised in a town of 2000 situated in the coal mining rocky mountains of British Columbia … and the people I’ve met and with whom I’ve shared, on life’s pathway.

Another of the riches of my childhood centered around the multi-national representation as folks immigrated to Canada from many countries in war torn Europe, and worked in the mines, or set up small local businesses or farmed in the valley. But that’s another blog! Have a great day on this national holiday, Patricia. Glad you took the time to visit.

Sep 05, 2011 @ 08:53:43

Waterton National Park is beautiful. I’ve been through Glacier, but not the Canadian counterpart. Thanks for sharing. As for seasons, I love them all. I think that’s part of what’s so nice about living in the Pacific Northwest. I have to say, though, that Fall is probably my favorite, or next to winter as my fav. I like the whole preparing for the cold season, then hunkering down with a cup of cocoa to ride the storm out. 🙂

Sep 05, 2011 @ 10:12:47

Yes, Laurie, cozy cups of cocoa beckon as the weather heads towards winter. Thanks for the image! Winter used to be my favorite when I could follow my passion, skiing. As a kid, I couldn’t master skating (weak ankles, painful instep) which started in an outdoor rink, or a patch of ground my dad turned into a skating rink … now that I think of it, how did he get the water onto the ground? Must have thawed the hose, and done it that way. You can tell we lived next to a patch of open land. Happy hunkering, Laurie!

6. Jimmy
    Sep 05, 2011 @ 07:40:01

I loved the first day of a school year. I had my Trapper Keeper folder with a full-package of wide-ruled paper and two pens and two pencils. The teacher told us how hard the year was going to be on the first day, but I was so organized, with separate folder sections for math, spelling, and history, that the year would be a breeze.

It was usually the Thursday of the first week when my folder had its first crumpled up paper and I missed a homework assignment.

On that first school Thursday of each year, I would tell myself… there’s always next year.