Technology does it again!

Lombardi's Cachina Italian Restaurant, Everett WA

Anyone interested in selling items outside a business venue to a credit card preferring public, if you have an apple i-Pod or an i-Phone, there is a gadget that plugs into the audio jack in which the customer can swipe the card to make the purchase.

An author selling signed copies of her novels at a book signing today (sponsored by Everett Evergreen RWA and Lomardi’s Cucina Restaurant) used one.  This model was about 1″ by 1″,  and fit into the audio jack of her i-Phone.  One can be purchased at an Apple Store for about $10.   Download the free app for your i-Phone of i-Pad and that’s it.  Probably a small fee for the swipe of a card.

Click here to see a example of a different one.

Today presented a great opportunity to chat with writers, purchase books if desired, co-mingle with fellow writers, and eat some of Lombardi’s Cucina Italian food, the best food to ever pass ones lips!

Welcome to Monday … hope everyone enjoys pleasant surprises this week!

Aug 29, 2011 @ 15:31:43

Way cool. Technology is amazing, isn’t it? And I heard the book fair was amazing, too. I’m sorry I couldn’t be there. I was busy with about 70 relatives at a family picnic. 🙂

2. Kate MacNicol
    Aug 29, 2011 @ 12:19:37

What a great little gadget! I can see where it would handy for booksignings at outside venues like this one. As in anything credit card — you’re right. Protect yourself.

3. mspicher
    Aug 29, 2011 @ 09:33:28

Got a message from my tech savvy daughter this morning and she advises that we make certain we are protected from hacking … and I would guess that includes charging something on someone’s credit card swiper, as well as providing the service for someone else.

I have no published novels yet to sell, so I need not be concerned. But if you do use something like this, protect yourself.

4. Marcia
    Aug 29, 2011 @ 06:12:51

I’ll have to stay away from this gadget! It sounds all too easy to go into debt. Credit cards, to me, have always seemed like ‘magic money’! I pay cash for everything, for many years now.

• mspicher
      Aug 29, 2011 @ 09:31:17

But Marcia, if you have books to sell at a book signing it might get more sales. The best use is to use it for sales, but stay away from it on someone else’s turf when you are the customer! Grin.

Aug 29, 2011 @ 03:35:13

Amazing … and a great idea!

6. Marianne
    Aug 28, 2011 @ 21:36:22

That device was very cool!

Aug 28, 2011 @ 21:07:00

I saw one of those just recently at a small coffee shop. It was crazy. I don’t know why I am so surprised, though. What next?