Technology: The wonder of Our Age

Deep sigh on the beach can put technology on hold

Without lists and calendars, life could get complicated. Forgetfulness complicates the works. To the rescue?
Spread sheets!

• Packing lists
  • Car mileage (taxes),
  • Writing time logs
  • Goals and progress

Quicken eats time, but provides great financial information.  Do we need it?  Well, for taxes, yes. But do we need to know how much we spend on groceries? But the date & price of a purchase way back in 2007 can be found on quicken. Now that’s neat!

Hotel reservations near a specific location?  Not too long ago, a travel agent took care of everything.  But hands on searching, planning, finding and booking are rather fun.

Another plus side?  The wonders of the internet and word processing. Writing a manuscript on a typewriter? Oh my, am I ever grateful for word processing! But sigh … handwritten letters can be unfolded, handled and gathered into our hearts many times.  Like the unsolicited ‘thank you’ letter from my grandson.

Expenses for record keeping are shifting from banks and credit accounts as they encourage us to go paperless.  How many of us print our own statements for backup, saving the companies the cost of mailing and printing and assembling?

Keeping abreast of tech advances gobbles up time, but once mastered, saves time (?) and gives us more information.  Updating computer hardware, DVD players, TV’s, software, phones, MP-3’s keeps us on the spending edge.

What about technology most benefits or frustrates you?

1. mspicher
    Aug 27, 2011 @ 18:07:28

Thank you Tameri, Kate, Naomi, Angela, Patricia and Laurie, for sharing your tech thoughts. Enjoyed reading your replies! And chatting a bit more about these things.

Aug 25, 2011 @ 09:21:30

Have you tried to type on a typewriter lately? I did. I can’t seem to remember to hit carriage return. lol What I love? Word processing programs and near instantaneous (and sometimes video) communication. What I hate? Anything going wrong. I have to tie my patience cap down VERY tight to get through computer issues.

• mspicher
      Aug 27, 2011 @ 18:03:24

I remember when IBM came out with the electric typewriter with auto-correct. It was heaven! Then finding something after the paper had been taken out, and trying to fit it back exactly in the spot to erase it and correct it. The line up had to be perfect.

Think of it! The copies were made with carbon paper! And typists had to be accurate! I never would have made it.

Aug 25, 2011 @ 05:29:20

I often fantasize about a television set with a simple on/off switch, channel dial, and volume control.

• mspicher
      Aug 27, 2011 @ 17:57:07

Patricia, I wouldn’t want that. Yes life would be simpler, but I wouldn’t be able to skim past the commercials! Or mute them. Without getting up. Egad. Walk across the room???

4. tamerietherton
    Aug 24, 2011 @ 19:36:37

Angela, I totally get you. My husband, however, thinks we need every new gadget that comes out. Do you know how many remotes we have for one stupid T.V.? Six. Six! Why? For the DVR, T.V., PS3, Blu-Ray (which we use the PS3 for anyway, why do we need another?), DVD player (again, we always use the PS3, duh!), and I don’t even know what the last one is for! Probably the XBox. Arrrgh!

• Angela Wallace
      Aug 25, 2011 @ 08:15:29

He does not like the “universal” remote? Lol. Too many gadgets for me. If they stop making DVDs in favor of Blu-Ray, I’m going to be so ticked…

• mspicher
      Aug 27, 2011 @ 17:55:03

There is one universal remote called “Harmony Remote” … you hook it to each component for a bit and it downloads all the particulars for you. Then you choose which piece of equipment you want to control. It tried one, but took it back when I couldn’t make it do the one thing I valued. Probably they would have told me how had I persevered. We are down to two right now.

5. Angela Wallace
    Aug 24, 2011 @ 19:22:29

I love my laptop and the Internet. I cannot write without them. I need to be able to look up that random fact to make sure I have it right. I also love my VCR and being able to record shows I like. I do not like DVR because I can’t afford it and I absolutely ate it when old technology that worked perfectly well is phased out. Why should I have to repurchase all my favorite things simply because they no longer make what I need to use to enjoy them?

• mspicher
      Aug 27, 2011 @ 17:52:03

That’s the thing, Angela. Music collections are threatened over time, and what of photos? Floppy disks are no more. My husband and I have chosen to keep up as much as possible, but expense is a factor. Haven’t graduated to Blue Ray yet.

6. Naomi Bulger
    Aug 24, 2011 @ 15:57:07

I had a boss when I was at university who claimed that productivity had not increased in the past 100 years. He posited that all the things we have to save us time actually take so much of our time that it all evens out in the end. That was his reasoning for hand-writing all his papers, memos and publications. His argument was weakened somewhat in that the core part of my job was to then type up his writing, format it on a word processor, then print, photocopy and distribute it. Hmm.

7. Kate MacNicol
    Aug 24, 2011 @ 15:08:33

The one thing about technology that I don’t like is when I have a problem that I’m trying to fix I can’t talk to anyone right away. I have to leave a message. Other than that, I think technology is a wonderful thing.

• mspicher
      Aug 27, 2011 @ 17:46:12

Hubby and I went into technology hell a few years back when we got a satellite internet system, a linksys wireless and a new computer with Vista, all at once. When something was amiss, we had to go through the chain of “helpers” all blaming the other systems, but finally got it all sorted out.

8. tamerietherton
    Aug 24, 2011 @ 13:09:31

I love my laptop, the internet, and my iPhone. I don’t understand everything they can do, but I love them. Amen.